Did you know so many things could harm your pet?

Posted on October 26, 2009. Filed under: 3. Trainer On Call | Tags: , |


I went to work last Thursday and noticed the ASPCA delivered a booklet to be handed out to clients.  It was titled “101 things you didn’t know could harm your pet.

Here are some I thought were very important to touch on.

1.) Ibuprofen and asprin- Many owners think if their pet is in pain they should give a tablet of these, it is never a good idea, it can cause serious stomach problems in pets

2.) Any human medications that are prescribed.  There are a number of medications that veterinarians will prescribe for pets but never give anything to your pets unless you veterinarian says it is OK

3.) Insecticides

4.) Cleaning products

5.) Mothballs

6.) Flea and tick products given at higher doses than prescribed

7.) Snail, slug, rat, ant bait and poisons

8.) Tobacco products

9.) Plants – there is a list of plants longer than I could ever list.  Better to be safe than sorry and keep the plants out of reach of your pets.

10.) Foods – avocado, chocolate, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, garlic, onion, coffee, alcohol, gum/candy

11.) Small objects like:  batteries, hair ties, twist ties, coins, jewelry, paper clips, string/yarn/floss

12.) Electrical cords,

13.) Antifreeze

14.) Fertilizers

15.) Pools if unfenced…just like kids

These are just a few, the list goes on and on.

For more information about hazards to your pet, visit


On this page, you can sign up for a free Pet Safety Pack that includes a magnet with poison controls number, as well as a sticker for your window stating there are pets in your house in case of an emergency.

For more questions on what to look out for that can harm your pet, E-mail me at


Read Full Post | Make a Comment ( None so far )

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: