Don’t Let Halloween Spook Your Pets

Posted on October 21, 2010. Filed under: 4. Guest Bloggers |

Trick or Treat: Seven Ways to Keep your Pet Safe this Halloween

1.    Be careful with Halloween decorations.  Pumpkins and corn are considered to be non-toxic, but they can create gastrointestinal problems when ingested by a pet. Intestinal blockage could even occur if large pieces are swallowed. Additionally, curious pets can easily knock over a lit pumpkin over and cause a fire.

2.    Make sure your pet’s costume is safe. The costume should not constrict the animal’s movement or hearing, or impede his ability to breathe, bark or meow.

3.    Have pets try on costumes a day or two before wearing them. If the pet appears distressed, has an allergic reaction, or shows abnormal behavior, remove the outfit.

4.    Take a closer look at your pet’s costume and make sure it does not have small pieces that could lead to a choking incident. Poor fitting outfits can get twisted on your pet, leading to injury.

5.    During prime trick-or-treat hours, keep shy dogs in a separate room. Too many strangers can be scary and overwhelming for pets.

6.    When opening the door for trick-or-treaters, make sure that your cat or dog doesn’t run outside unexpectedly. Always make sure your pet has the proper identification. If for any reason your pet escapes and becomes lost, a collar and tags and/or a microchip can increase the chances that he or she will be returned to you.

7.    Sorry Fluffy, but Halloween treats are just for kids. If you have a pet in the house,  be mindful of the following:Tin foil and cellophane candy wrappers are a choking hazard for pets, in worst cases ingestion may cause intestinal blockage.

  • Chocolate can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. Symptoms of significant chocolate ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, urination and heart rate, and even seizures.
  • Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be poisonous to dogs. Even minimal amounts of xylitol can create a sudden drop in blood sugar, which leads to depression, lack of coordination and seizures. In cases of significantly low blood sugar, liver failure has been known to occur. Avoid lollipops and hard candies when you are around your pet.

-Camp Bow Wow

Advertisements

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: