Thanksgiving Tips for your Pet

Posted on November 25, 2009. Filed under: 3. Trainer On Call | Tags: |

1.)  Don’t feed your pets from the table.  If a pet is not used to eating human food, they run the risk of getting pancreatitis.  This is inflammation of the pancreas.  It occurs from eating greasy or unfamiliar foods.

2.) Be careful of your table decorations.  Plants like Poinsettia can cause vomiting and irritation.  Check with poison control about your favorite holiday plants.

3.) If you are frying your turkey, not only should you keep it away from the house because of the fire hazard, but you should also keep your pets away from it.  The hot oil can cause serious burns to your pets if they knock it over or get splashed with the oil.

4.) If your pet is nervous around lots of people, keep them confined, or perhaps, take your turkey dinner to someone else’s house.  Make sure they are comfortable with all of the commotion and people.

5.) Make sure to secure your garbage.  Don’t let your pet get into the wrappings from the food, or more importantly, turkey bones.  If ingested they can become stuck and a trip to the vet with a pretty hefty holiday bill will not bring the best out of Thanksgiving.

For more Thanksgiving tips email me at

dbozlinski@petopia.tv

Advertisements

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

3 Responses to “Thanksgiving Tips for your Pet”

RSS Feed for Petopia.tv's Diary of a Dog Mom Comments RSS Feed

[…] Thanksgiving Tips for your Pet. Posted on November 25, 2009 by petopiatv. 1.) Don’t feed your pets from the table. If a pet is not used to eating human food, they run the risk of getting pancreatitis. This is inflammation of the … Continue reading here.. […]

Thanks for spreading the word on pet safety during the holidays! I wanted to make you aware of another important resource out there also – Pet Poison Helpline is an additional Animal Poison Control Center, and it’s one of the most cost-effective animal poison ($35/case vs. ASPCA’s new $60/case) controls out there nowadays. Unfortunately, because animal poison controls are not federal- or state-funded, there is a fee to allow the service to be run 24-7. We provide a similar service, but have the added benefit of veterinary specialists (in internal medicine and emergency and critical care) as part of our staff. You can always call 1-800-213-6680 if you ever have a problem. Thanks for spreading the word! I also attached our “Holiday toxins to avoid in your pets” article below!

Dr. Justine Lee, DVM, DACVECC
Associate Director of Veterinary Services
http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com
http://www.drjustinelee.com

Holiday Toxin Tips from Pet Poison Helpline
Help Keep Your Pet Safe
Tips on holiday foods, plants and decorations that can put your pet at risk.

Minneapolis (November 16, 2009) – The holidays are stressful enough without having to worry about a potentially poisoned pet. Below is a list of holiday-related decorations, plants and food items that the veterinarians at Pet Poison Helpline recommend keeping away from pets.

• Holiday Ornaments: When decorating for the season, consider your pets. Holiday decorations such as snow globes or bubble lights may contain poisonous chemicals. If your pet chews on them the liquid inside could be could be dangerous to their health. Methylene chloride, the chemical in bubble lights, can result in depression, aspiration pneumonia and irritation to the eyes, skin and gastrointestinal tract.

• Tinsel: If you own a cat, forgo the tinsel. What looks like a shiny toy to your cat can prove deadly if ingested. Tinsel does not pose a poisoning risk but can cause severe damage to a cat’s intestinal tract if swallowed. Ultimately, cats run the risk of severe injury to, or rupture of their intestines and treatment involves expensive abdominal surgery.

• Plants: Though they have a bad rap, poinsettia plants are only mildly toxic. Far more worrisome are holiday bouquets containing lilies, holly or mistletoe.

“Lilies, including tiger, Asiatic, stargazer, Easter and day lilies, are the most dangerous plants for cats,” said Dr. Ahna Brutlag, assistant direct of Pet Poison Helpline. “The ingestion of one to two leaves or flower petals is enough to cause sudden kidney failure in cats.”

Other yuletide pants such as holly berries and mistletoe can also be toxic to pets and can cause gastrointestinal upset and even heart arrhythmias if ingested.

• Alcohol: Because alcohol is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, it affects pets quickly. Ingestion of alcohol can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure and body temperature. Intoxicated animals can experience seizures and respiratory failure. Additionally, foods such as desserts containing alcohol and unbaked dough that contains yeast should be kept away from pets as they may result in alcohol toxicity, vomiting, disorientation and stomach bloat.

• Holiday Foods: With the holiday season comes a delightful variety of baked goods, chocolate confections and other rich, fattening foods. However, it is not wise (and in some cases is quite dangerous) to share these treats with your pets. Keep your pet on his or her regular diet over the holidays and do not let family and friends sneak in treats. Foods that can present problems:
– Foods containing grapes, raisins and currents (such as fruit cakes) can result in kidney failure in dogs.
– Chocolate and cocoa contain theobromine, a chemical highly toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion in small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea but large amounts can cause seizures and heart arrhythmias.
– Many sugarless gums and candies contain xylitol, a sweetener which is toxic to dogs. It causes a life-threatening drop in blood sugar and liver failure.
– Leftover, fatty meat scraps can produce severe inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) leading to abdominal pain, vomiting and bloody diarrhea.

• Imported Snow Globes: Recently, imported snow globes were found to contain antifreeze (ethylene glycol.) As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze when ingested by a cat or a tablespoon or two for a dog (depending on their size), can be fatal. Signs of early poisoning include acting drunk or uncoordinated, excessive thirst, and lethargy. While signs may seem to improve after eight to twelve hours, internal damage is actually worsening, and crystals develop in the kidneys resulting in acute kidney failure. Immediate treatment with an antidote is vital.

• Liquid Potpourri: Filling your house with the smell of nutmeg or pine for the holidays may seem inviting—but if you’re partial to heating your scented oils in a simmer pot, know that they can cause serious harm to your cat; even a few licks can result in severe chemical burns in the mouth, fever, difficulty breathing, and tremors. Dogs aren’t as sensitive, but it’s still better to be safe than sorry—so scent your home with a non-toxic candle kept safely out of kitty’s reach.

When it comes to the holidays, the best thing a pet owner can do is get educated on common household toxins and pet-proof your home accordingly. If you think your pet has been poisoned, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680 with any questions or concerns.

Pet Poison Helpline is a service available 24 hours, seven days a week for pet owners, veterinarians and vet techs that require assistance treating a potentially poisoned pet. Staff can provide treatment advice for poisoning cases of all species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic species. As the most cost-effective option for animal poison control care, Pet Poison Helpline’s fee of $35 per incident includes follow-up consultation for the duration of the poison case. Pet Poison Helpline is available in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Additional information can be found online at http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com.

Thank you so much for these helpful tips. We really appreciate it!


Where's The Comment Form?

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: